Thursday 16 February 2012

1930s Silk Piano Shawl
A lot of people ask me where I find my stock.  Basically, all over and in the last places you'd expect.  Recently, I met a woman who was looking to trade for a large box of postcards, greeting cards and old photos I had. 

Well, I just about fell over when she pulled out some old white boxes from a late 1930s to early 1940s bridal trousseau she had bought.  In those small boxes were a few exquisite nightgowns, satin pajamas, a bed jacket, four pairs of tap pants, a robe and a silk piano shawl.  Oh my, I was in heaven, much of it was in unworn condition too!  Lucky for me, she had purchased the contents of the hope chest for the linens and was willing to trade for the lingerie.

You just can't beat the lingerie of yesteryear.  Oh so feminine and sexy without being too revealing and the popular bias cut guaranteed a form flattering silhouette.  It's my absolute favorite selling and collecting category, I can never get enough of it.  Sure, you can go to Victoria's Secret but the quality is incomparable.  Charmeuse and chiffon silks, rayon satin, taffeta acetate; those delicate and costly fabrics come from polyester today.  Aside from higher quality silk garments, vintage doesn't carry made in China labels either, it represents a time when Made in USA was proudly the norm.

Slip into one of these and you'll perhaps reconsider those faded fleece Snoopy pajamas of yours.
             
1940s Pale Pink Satin & Lace Nightgown

 
Vintage 1930s Virginia Dare Satin Pale Peach Satin Lounging Pajamas














Vintage 1930s Peach Satin & Lace Tap Panties
1930s Pale Peach Satin & Lace Butterfly Applique

1930s Kimono Style Green Silk Robe

    

No comments:

Post a Comment